Even though the global stock and bond markets feel relatively calm as I write this, there’s been a whole heck of a lot that happened in Q1. In no particular order, we saw:
- A mob breach the capitol building
- The entire GameStop saga
- Virtually all crypto currencies post massive gains
- A $1.9 trillion stimulus package passed
- U.S. interest rates spike
- An NFT (piece of digital artwork) sell for over $69 million
Perhaps my senses have dulled a bit over the last year, because that’s a whopper of a list for feeling relatively calm.
We are at a crossroads in the financial markets right now. Stock prices continue to climb higher and break records, as investors have priced in a substantial economic recovery over the coming 18-24 months. If the global economy is able to deliver that rebound the march upward should continue. But any misstep or hiccup could send us into correction territory at the drop of a hat.
Here’s this quarter’s market review.