What I Do
As you may have experienced, your personal and business finances are inextricably linked when you own a business. How you handle cash, reinvest, pay your employees, and structure operations can have a dramatic impact on your personal financial situation. The amount of income you make. The taxes you pay. Your savings. Your investments. Your retirement.
In 2014 I left a really great job at Charles Schwab to start Three Oaks Wealth and help people sort these issues out. The firm has evolved and grown since then, and we now have a small team dedicated to helping business owners align their finances with their objectives, their family, and their values.
If you're looking for help with your financial situation, we might be a good fit to work together. Just read the details below and grab a time on my calendar to start the discussion.
Who I Work With
- Business owners with total owner compensation of at least $250,000 per year. This includes the sum of self-employment & w-2 income, corporate or partnership distributions, retirement plan contributions, and health or other benefits.
- People of all ages, although most of my clients are in the 45-60 age range.
- People who are comfortable employing a consistent, long term investment strategy engineered to support their long term objectives.
- People all over the country. I frequently meet with clients via video conference.
- Small to mid sized businesses, helping build and manage employer-sponsored retirement plans.
Who I Don't Work With
- People looking for help trading crypto, penny stocks or anything else on a short term basis
- People who feel the need to change their investment strategy frequently based on today's new cycle
- People who plan to invest exclusively in rental properties & other real estate (not my jam)
- People who need to be on the phone with their advisor every day
What It's Like to Work Together
Our focus at my financial planning firm is on helping our clients clients create clarity and confidence with regard to their personal and business finances. Basically this means that we help people explore what they really want from their life and career, and what they really need from their resources to be happy and content. Then we optimize their resources toward those objectives. Along the way we help people:
- Optimize their cash flow by determining when and how to take money out of their business (and what to do with it once it hits their personal bank account)
- Conduct proper tax planning to ensure they don't pay more tax than they need to
- Manage risk by diversifying assets and setting up appropriate contingencies
- Invest prudently, in a manner designed to deliver the best long term outcome
My role is to be there every step of the way to help people navigate their financial life with confidence.
We work with clients at my financial planning firm on an ongoing basis and as a team. There are great professionals out there who offer hourly advice or limited scope projects, but we're not able to offer those engagements at this time.
- I'm a fee-only advisor, meaning that I'm only compensated by my clients directly. We don't collect commissions, revenue sharing, or other kickbacks for making certain recommendations at my firm. This way you never have to wonder whether my advice is genuine, or driven by my own compensation.
- I'm a fiduciary to my clients, and legally must act in their best interests 100% of the time.
- We have a ton of info about our planning process and services at www.threeoakswealth.com, including an FAQ page.
If after reading this you think you're a good fit to work together, feel free to schedule a 30 minute introductory chat for us to discuss further. I'm happy to host a zoom videoconference or chat over the phone.